Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Upcoming show and classes

LAST MINUTE CHANGE, note new date: I will be having an exhibit of some recent watercolors and oils at Art Domestique Gallery in Washington, IA. The reception is Tuesday April 19 from 6-8pm. The gallery is on the east side of the square, next door to Cafe DoDici. Here's a sample:

On many of the works I tried to get a somewhat unique palette as well as a more patterned, shape conscious design to the work, reminiscent of Japanese woodblocks where appropriate. As a kid, that was the only original artwork we had at home. We had posters of Manet, Degas and Tolouse Lautrec too. All of them were influenced by Japanese woodblocks so maybe that's why I'm fascinated with that look.
I'm teaching a 3 day Plein Air workshop in conjunction with the exhibit, April 22-24. It will be for oil, pastel or watercolor and I plan to demo in the mediums most people are using...maybe all 3?
The foliage should be quite nice by that time.

3 comments:

  1. The reflection really does it for me. The warm sunlight in the water, reminds me of how my grandpa would wake everyone up in the cabin at 6AM with his horrible singing, but then it was early enough to see the water glow with the sunrise. The greens & purples in the shadows work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamy palette. Sorry to miss this workshop. Looking forward to Dubuque.

    ReplyDelete